Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Giving Can Overcome Language Differences during holiday trip

I recently had to take a trip to France. This is my first time to pay a visit to this European country. Understand from friends that I may have a tough time to communicate as majority of the population are non-English speaking resident. However, I didn't have it as bad as it could have been. Many of the people I met regardless in business or private meet that spoke English as a second language. What amazed me was how patient and helpful those that couldn't speak English were to me.

I was able to go where I wanted and get what I needed especially come to food ordering with relative ease. It didn't matter if we spoke different languages because we worked out other ways such as body language to communicate.

Contrast that to some experiences I have witnessed in some Asia countries whereby non-English speaking people intentionally ignored or dealt with without any patience.

Do you want to make the world a better place by doing even little things? My recent trip to France was proof that you don't have to speak the same language to help anyone. The next time you see someone that visiting us from another country, go out of your way to smile and greet him or her. Spend time finding a way to offer them if they appear to need helps. I am sure and trust you will make their day better and yours as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment