Monday, May 9, 2011

Pristine And Delightful Chiang Mai

My morning begins at the café with a mug of steaming coffee, brewed from Arabica beans which are roasted locally and a plateful of French toasts. After a leisurely read of the Bangkok post and observing the local monks on their morning rounds for alms, I am ready for an interesting ride on my bicycle to investigate the old city's surrounding moats that date back 150 years. I go past Pratu Phae which has brick remnants that are restored, and enter the cultural heart and geographical center of Chiang Mai.

Making an initial stop at the monument of the Three Kings, I offer my respects to the fathers who founded the Lanna Kingdom of Chiang Mai. Then I ride on to check out the latest exhibits of culture and art of northern Thailand. These are preserved in a provincial hall dating back to 1924, which itself is an architectural masterpiece of post colonial Thailand. If I find the need to still indulge in fine architecture, I would head for the quadrangle in the old city which has about 33 Buddhist temples of historic importance. I am always inspired by the Chedi Luang which houses the monument with the tallest stupa, and also the exquisitely carved panels in wood of Wat Tao.

Later I will make a stop for lunch at either Heuan Phen or Si Phen where I would get a taste of the sausages of Chiang Mai accompanied with a flaming dip of green chilies. Scooting randomly through winding and narrow lanes called Soi, I will get a marvelous taste of the street life in Chiang Mai. I will get to observe young housewives busily hanging laundry, backpackers from Europe trying to find a guesthouse, giggling school children and the ever-present noodle vendors. When the heat and peak of afternoon traffic gets too much to handle, I am going to pack my bike on the back of a truck taxi which is locally called the sawngthaew, and head for the Doi Suthep's lower slopes which are to the city's west. I am looking forward to enjoying a cool Singha at the restaurant called Huay Kaew which has an excellent view of a beautiful waterfall that tumbles off rocks shaded by trees.

In the evening, warm the body with a 2 hours Thai Traditional Massage at Chiang Mai Oasis Spa, a Thai Herbal Hot Compress on the stomach and back finishing with an Aromatic full body oil massage. High recommend to this wonderful service and such a lovely place, you will be pampered like never before and totally relaxed, that worth for every Thai Baht paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment