Friday, May 20, 2011

Venturing Morning To Night at Exciting and Relaxing Hong Kong

It is early morning as I walk leisurely in Hong Kong Park, and then pause, entranced by the graceful, slow-motion sweeps of "Tai Chi" enthusiasts. I linger, marveling over the Edward Youde Aviary's wondrous birds.

I seek a hearty breakfast next, pondering the numerous cafés in the Central and choosing Eating Plus in at the IFC Mall for its entertaining crowd. Afterwards, the bullet-shaped skyscraper Two IFC catches my upwards, squinting gaze as I attempt to take in the entire outline of this tallest building in the city before cramming myself among hoards of commuters to ride the Star Ferry to Kowloon, across the gleaming Victoria Harbor. When I reach Tsim Sha Tsui, I wander the promenade and admire the spectacular cityscape views, all the way back towards Hong Kong Island. Ducking into a favorite Hong Kong attraction, the Space Museum, I must decide between taking in its giant planetarium or watching the latest IMAX film.

My itinerary flows onward and I walk the Golden Mile upwards (that also goes by its official name Nathan Road) so I can revel a while amid the exciting commercial chaos there and give due respect to the famously and delightfully dilapidated Chungking Mansions, before plunging into the MTR station of Tsim Sha Tsui, a place nearly deserted by tourists, where wandering Temple Street downwards and observing the lively street scenery of stall holders setting up the Night Market charms me thoroughly. Now I sense hunger again, so I ride the MTR further southward and stride purposefully into the Kowloon Hotel basement, for this is where I have already booked ahead a highly anticipated feast of dim sum at the restaurant Hoi Yat Heen.

Riding the Star Ferry back over the harbor I muse that one trip is never enough, then I decide to catch the Peak Tram's steep roll to fabulous Victoria Peak during the waning late afternoon. Next, I jump back on the tram down to the Central Escalator just to be trundled up once again through glimpses of life in Hong Kong at the Mid-Levels, peeked at through residential and bar windows crowding all around. The Lan Kwai Fong alleys provide a perfect final hideout for celebrating this exciting (yet relaxing) day of adventuring the familiar (yet exotic) over many tossed-back drinks and trays full of tasty treats.

Lan Kwai Fong has a reputation as the home of the best Hong Kong bars, so naturally it also goes by a more flippant nickname: none other than - you guessed it, perhaps - party central. It is a cobble-stoned, L-shaped lane encircled by Central's striking skyscraper cluster. Lanes near this haunt also buzz with noisy pubs and bistros, so that the whole neighborhood around Lan Kwai Fong might accurately be called the trendiest nightlife destination in Hong Kong. Foreigners (called "gweilos") and filth abound among rows of bars spilling people forth in all directions onto its streets. This notable Hong Kong night life place defies adequate description and must be experienced to the fullest, blaring music, boisterous crowds, and all. This is where people of all professions, with diverse and fascinating life stories, flock to relish drinks with colleagues and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment